Stomach 36 (ST 36) has many uses:
1. To boost the overall Qi (energy) level
2. To boost digestion
3. To soothe digestive complaints
4. To ease any imbalance in the abdomen
Originally points were named rather numbered.
The name of ST 36 is Zu San Li or “Leg Three Miles.” The name impresses upon us how strongly ST 36 boosts the overall Qi. ST 36 increases our energy so much that an exhausted person could actually walk three more miles!
How to locate Stomach 36
ST 36 is located below the knee, on the outside surface of the lower leg. There are many ways to locate ST 36, so here is one of my shortcuts:
- With your knee bent feel for your kneecap.
- Now feel the center of the lower edge of your knee cap. Continue to slide straight down until you feel a “blob” of bone on the upper portion of your shin bone (tibia).
- That blob is your landmark for how far down from the knee to go. Next, move an inch to the outside of that blob into the softer tissue. Press lightly while you explore the area for the point (use the picture above to help locate the point).
- The point may feel a little tender to your touch, so increase your pressure gradually. Be sure to stay just an inch away from the blob on your tibia.
- Explore, have fun and try to find this point on as many people as you can. It takes practice but you can do it!