My friend was in a severe car accident and was placed in a medically induced coma. She is slowly being weaned off of sedation and showing good signs of recovery, except that she recently has pneumonia. Are there any points you can suggest to help my friend?
I would consider two things:
- First, they need general support of their Life Force as they become conscious and begin to integrate the accident.
- Second, nourish the Lungs so that they can do the work on clearing the pneumonia.
Support the Life Force
- Nourish and protect the Life Force, use KD 3.
- To boost the overall energy system use ST 36.
Digestion will be a huge factor. I always work ST 36 and then the Stomach meridian from ST 36 all the way down to the 2nd toe. This will support digestion and will increase the Qi in the system – which they very much need at this time. Digestion is the main way that we absorb the nutrition and Qi needed to rebuild and sustain ourselves. By ensuring absorption of nutrients and Qi via digestion, this feeds the the Lungs as well!
As we gather Qi from digestion, we take the pressure off of the Life Force to supply our energy. By meeting our daily needs of Qi through digestion, we conserve our Life Force.
- For pneumonia – this will be a dance between LU 1, LU 2 (which are more about nourishing the Lungs), and LU 5, LU 7, LI 4 (which help to clear the Lungs). We always want to clear the pathogens out before we nourish. However, in this case, you have to consider both because of their weakened state.The metaphor is that you want to get the tiger out of your house (clear out the pathogens with LU 5, LU 7, and LI 4) before you shut all of the doors and windows and prevent the tiger from getting out of the house. Preventing the tiger from getting in (prevention) is what we do by building up the Lungs, nourishing them, and getting strong so they keep the doors and windows shut. The trick in this case is not to shut the doors before the tiger (pneumonia) is out of the body, and at the same time nourish the Lungs so they are strong enough to do their work at this vulnerable time.
You don’t have be very fancy, just follow the principles of nourishing the Life Force, supporting digestion, and getting that tiger (pneumonia) out of the house while also reinforcing the house (Lungs). Your presence, attention and compassion will bring them great healing and relief.
Be sure to care for yourself while you care for others!