Bladder points on the sacrum help relieve back pain.
The Bladder meridian runs down both sides of the back. Because of its location, points on the Bladder meridian are always used to relieve back pain.
Acupressure points on the sacrum are great for relieving back pain!
I get great results using these four Bladder acupoints on the sacrum:
How to locate Bladder 31, 32, 33, 34*
Each point is located on one of the sacral foramen (holes in the sacrum).
- Feel for the center of the sacrum
- Slide light pressure out to the sides and feel for little dips in the sacrum
- Each dip is one of the holes in the sacrum (and the location of the acupoint)
- Take your time and feel for the four dips on both sides of the sacrum
How to activate these acupressure points:
- Ensure that you are on the point (I contact the points on the both sides of the sacrum simultaneously)
- Focus your awareness where you are physically contacting the point
- Slowly increase your pressure on the points
- Ask your client to tell you how much pressure feels the best to them
- Combine small movement and stillness on these points
- Move from one set of points (i.e. BL 31 on the left and right side) to the next
- After activating each of these points, gently press down the back of the legs to encourage the energy to flow down the legs
How acupressure points relieve back pain
We use acupressure points to activate the energy within the meridians. This energy is called Qi (“chee”) in Chinese medicine. Back pain is often the result of stuck or stagnant Qi in the meridian. By activating the acupoints, we stimulate the flow of Qi in meridians. Once the Qi is flowing smoothly again, the pain subsides.
I use these acupoints for relieving all types of back pain. In particular, these points are great for low back pain. Since the Bladder meridian travels down the neck, I also use these points to relieve neck pain.
*Please note that Bladder 31, 32, 33, 34 are contraindicated during pregnancy.
Do not use these points during pregnancy.
Share your experience!
You can add these points into any type of massage that you practice. Experiment, explore, and let me know your results by writing in the comment box below.